Saturday, November 24, 2007

Introducing the Six Senses

The first statement “Not just function but also DESIGN” really caught in my mind. When I was in school the mantra seemed to be from earlier in the 20th century of ‘Form follows Function” We studied Wright and other architects and designers who used function as the filter to distill the form. My thinking from this study was often that better design was achieved by removal of the superfluously.

Here is a song about form and function.

I also really liked the idea of play. I try to have fun with the kids in my classroom and see the importance of play in learning. This morning I was watching one of my favorite Saturday morning shows "Beakman's World" This show teaches complex science in a very fun, well manic way. If you haven't seen this show take a look, think about the concept being taught and the fun way it is being presented.

This is an interesting web site that gave students an assignment from this chapter. The videos produced are very creative and fun too.




Here is a song about form and function.

No comments: